Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Outside Reading Book Week 6 Post 2

"Did people really want to hear that I watched a guy in my unit accidentally shoot a little kid who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or that I'd seen soldiers get torn into pieces when they hit an IED-improvised explosive device- on the roads near Baghdada? Or that i'd seen blood pooling in the streets like rain, flowing past body parts? No, people would rather hear about sand..." pg. 193.

I think this quote is very powerful. And I believe that it is very true, people when thinking about war don't really understand the whole bad part about it. They know that it is bad and there are gory things that go along with war but nobody can really picture and experience what our soldiers do. Also the fact that this quote was said about Baghdad because it occurs after September 11 makes it even more real and powerful. It's not a made up war with made up places- it is a real life situation that soldiers are experiencing now. I think that our society needs to understand the real hardships of war and not just the sugar coated version.

No comments: